You are here: A&S Home  /  Office of the Dean  /  Messages  /  A&S Focus in 2013-14

Two A&S Fourth Year Students Earn Rhodes Scholarships

January 8, 2014

Just prior to end of the fall semester, I received the good news that two fourth-year students in the College of Arts & Sciences were to be awarded Rhodes Scholarships.

Evan Behrle, an honors Politics major, and Charles Tyson, a double major in Political and Social Thought and English, will be heading to Oxford in September to pursue their academic dreams. Evan plans to study for a master’s of philosophy in comparative social policy with an eye toward working on urban revitalization projects. Charlie has his sights set on two one-year master’s degrees, one in Victorian literature and another in the history of science.

I hope you will join me in congratulating Evan and Charlie for their extraordinary achievements and for their contributions to the intellectual life of our community over the past four years. At the same time, I would like to thank all those faculty members who taught Evan and Charlie – and those others who might have had a hand in expanding their horizons and encouraging them to achieve great things.

These two outstanding students are a reflection of all that is good about a College education and their awards are cause for shared celebration. Read the UVa Today story for further details.

< Return to All Messages from A&S