You are here: A&S Home  /  Transfer Student Newsletter: November 2011

Transfer Student Newsletter: November 2011

Message from Dean Papovich

In this final newsletter for the fall semester, we remind you of several end of the semester concerns important to College students.

Spring 2012 Course Selection

As we informed you in the October Newsletter, everyone should have met with his or her faculty advisor at the beginning of November.  If you have not yet declared your major, you should have met with your assigned faculty advisor.  If you have declared a major, you should have met with your advisor in your major department. Those students who met with their faculty advisor gain access to SIS during the priority period. All others have access to SIS without priority beginning November 21.

You'll find helpful information for planning for the spring semester at the College's web site Course Selection & Enrollment for Students - Arts & Sciences, U.Va.  The SOC is available on SIS.

Finishing the Semester

We draw your attention to the faculty policies listed below:

Final Examinations: Instructors are not authorized to change the announced times of examinations. Congestion of a schedule is not a basis for a student's request to change the examination date unless at least three examinations are scheduled within two consecutive days. Early exams are not permitted. Requests for a change in the examination schedule must be made by Wednesday, November 30.  Forms for doing so are in 101 Monroe Hall.

Incompletes: If serious mitigating circumstances prevent you from finishing a course, an instructor may be willing to report an initial temporary grade of IN (incomplete). Such a grade, however, automatically becomes an F five days after the end of the examination period unless arrangements have been agreed to in writing among you, your course instructor, and your Association Dean. Extension of Time forms for this are available in 101 Monroe Hall. All incomplete grades must be completed by Wednesday, January 18.

Academic Honors: Full-time students who demonstrate academic excellence while taking a minimum of 15 credits of graded course work are eligible for the Dean’s List of Distinguished Students at the end of each semester. Courses taken on a CR/NC basis are not counted toward the 15-credit minimum. A current minimum grade point average of 3.500 is necessary for you to be eligible for the dean’s list. Receiving an F, NC, or NG during the semester makes you ineligible for the dean’s list. The University Registrar posts the notation "Dean’s List" on student records several weeks after the conclusion of the semester.

Good Standing and Academic Warning: After the end of each semester, we check your overall record to find out if you are making "satisfactory progress" toward the degree. We do this to make sure that no student is allowed to continue doing inferior work without an official warning. If any of your grades are below C, we wish to know so that we can provide appropriate counseling or discipline.

We consider you in Good Standing at the end of a semester if, in that semester, you have completed at least 12 credits of course work with at least a 1.80 semester average and have no more than one grade below C-. If you fail to achieve Good Standing, you will be placed on Academic Warning with a notation of the cause on your transcript. If you are on Warning, you will be required to meet with Mr. Papovich early in the next semester.

If you are on Academic Warning for two consecutive semesters, you are subject to a year-long suspension. Furthermore, if you earn fewer than nine grade-points in a regular semester you are subject to suspension, either at mid-year or the end of the school year. One full spring term and one full fall term must elapse before suspended students may return to the College.

In order to enroll for a fifth semester, you are required to have passed at least 54 credit-hours; to enroll for a seventh semester, at least 84 credit-hours. Failure to earn sufficient credits will result in our blocking your enrollment. We require students who fall behind in the number of credit-hours to make up their work in the summer session or through part-time enrollment. If you expect to be below the minimum number for your academic level, please make an appointment to meet with Mr. Papovich soon.

To remain in Good Standing, students who have completed four semesters of work (at U.Va. or elsewhere) must be in a major or have obtained written permission from Mr. Papovich to defer the declaration of major until the end of the fifth semester. No student will be permitted to enroll for a sixth semester without a major.

As you know, transferring to the College is an exciting challenge, but it can also be bewildering, especially during the first semester. There are many people at the University to help you; you, however, must seek out help when you have questions or problems. If you don't know where to turn, make an appointment with your faculty advisor, or with Mr. Papovich by calling 924-3353/51 or speaking with the staff in 101 Monroe Hall.

We wish you the best of luck for the remainder of the semester.

Looking Ahead

The University provides a range of other services in which new transfer students are often interested.

  • You should consider studying abroad. Contact the International Studies Office on the 2nd floor of Minor Hall. Most transfer students find that they can fit in a study abroad term.
  • The Center for Undergraduate Excellence  The Center advises students regarding undergraduate research opportunities and national scholarships and fellowships. It is located in Room 305 at the Harrison Institute and Library. 
  • If you have not visited the University Career Services, 924-8900 (in the Carl Smith Center, Bryant Hall), you should plan to do so soon. After familiarizing yourself with the resources there, you should make an appointment to talk with one of the special advisors in UCS who work closely with College students.
  • If you are feeling stressed, call the Smith Center for Counseling and Psychological Services at 243-5150. They have a number of support groups as well as individual counseling and are located in the Elson Student Health Building. Their services are confidential and free.
  •  If you are low on hours, consider attending the January term.  See the  January Term Home Page for more information.   Enroll beginning November 17.
  • Apply to be a Transfer Student Peer Advisor (TSPA)! The TSPA program is a student-run organization designed to help new transfer students become acclimated at the University of Virginia. For more information visit

Final words from Dean Papovich

The end of the semester will soon be upon us. You now need to devote your full attention to your remaining papers, projects, and examinations.   It is crucial that you stay current with your readings and other assignments.  If you are having trouble, do not simply hope things will improve.  You must act.   You must speak with your instructor(s) promptly. You must seek out tutorial assistance, work in study groups, and draw fully upon your own and the Univeristy's resources.  And you must not hesitate to make an appointment to see me.   You are all capable of succeeding here.  If you are not pleased with your progress so far, now is the time to seek help and make changes.   You are all here because you are qualified to succeed.

Please feel free to call 924-3353 or 924-3351 to arrange for a convenient time to discuss any questions you have with me. You may contact me by e-mail at . My office is located in 201B Monroe Hall.

I wish you well for the rest of the semester and look forward to seeing you soon.



Useful Links